Incognito in Saint Louis

Slowly unleashing the secrets of city life.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Macaca Bull Fakakta and General Observations on Race Relations

Okay folks.  George Allen. Who hasn't heard about this ass?  
I must admit, I know very little of Virginia.   So, when I heard about Mr. Allen's
use of the term "macaca" to describe an American of Indian descent, who happened to work for Mr. Allens' opponent and he was the only person of color at
the rally, I knew what was up.  I mean, c'mon people. He said he confused the
term "macaca" with "mohawk".  HUH? I mean, he might be an old cornpone, or is
at least pretending to be, but NO ONE and I mean, NO ONE is that stupid.  He
knew exactly what he was saying.  His tone and presentation to Sidarth ("Macaca"), welcoming him to the "real Virginia" was basically and underlying jab, indicating that true Virginians don't like his "kind".

I've already read several posts that say that the man was not making a racial remark because he was saying it right to the guy's face while he was filming it and who would be that dumb? That's the thing:  I think that George Allen thought he was being slick and not saying something totally overt, so he could get away with it and I think that to his crowd of all white constituents, after making a speech about immigration, he was trying to point out how his opponent employees non-whites. Hence, they should vote for good ole George Allen, their white buddy.  While his racist remarks were frowned on nationally, I
doubt that they were locally.  Heck, I would assume those remarks would put Mr. Allen in the lead with people who attend his rallies, including those who
currently support Confederate History Month.

Several times this week I've heard the term Islamo-fascism and actually heard people saying that they believed that the majority of Muslims want Americans dead and are rooting for Hezbollah to annihilate us.  How can they know? People are make entire assumptions about a religion based on the loudest people.  Should we now assume all Christians are like Fred Phelps?

As a city dweller, I have talked to and seen my fair share of people frown upon my city living and say such stupid shit as, "I would live in the city, but I have kids", whatever the fuck that means.  I've talked to people and grown up around people who are literally afraid to cross the bridge into St. Louis. People who believe that all violence happens constantly in the city, that gangs are rampant, and that blacks are to blame for all the problems in the city.  St. Louis for all your greatness, why are your residents so stupid? I can no longer tolerate the intolerance. I can no longer deal with people who lump behaviors according to race. I CANNOT.  I've grown very tired of this place.  Mostly, I guess I've grown tired of idiots, such as those people in St. Charles County who are preventing mass transportation from going where they live because they actually think blacks will ride the train from the city and come rob them. I can't do it anymore.

I DO love living here. I am so grateful for all of the diverse people that I know. However, these pockets of people, even ones that I have known forever, I can no longer deal with.  

Please someone offer me a nugget of hope in this mess.  I am so ready for some fresh, new perspectives on this, as I am feeling most disheartened on this topic as of late......................















1 Comments:

  • At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not too tall, not to short. I not too fat not to thin. I wear my close well-I know better than most. What does all this mean? Nothing really, does not make me a better human being at all.

    Let tell what it means to many others....I was chatting with an acquaintance when she floor me with this statement: “You look too nice to date Black men” Oh really? What does one look like to date black men? I have never tolerated that type intolerance to even enter my mind.

    Yes I as beautiful white lady, will ruin my life if I should marry a black, I know what a waste. If thats the way? So be it. I would rather not be in the normal world that would believe in that kind of intolerance. If I am outside what is the norm, so be it. When I go on dates with black men, I wear the highest heels the tightest dresses and the longest nails to really make the point. I don't care.

    Is there any hope for all of this, I think not. Not in my life time-not in my kids life time. There are just to many people to rationalize a loved one's disrespectful behavior or hateful statements by making excuses for them. People like my acquaintance place these ideas on to their young or they let others; boy friends and family members do it for them. (Their the worst.)

    Why did I write this? Just to out the many people, who profess to be fair, as their not. Nothing will change here...I don't expect it. Too many tolerate hate and its that intolerance which lead to statements like: “You look too nice or too pretty to date Black men”.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home