Incognito in Saint Louis

Slowly unleashing the secrets of city life.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Suburban Dream

So, yesterday, I went to my mother's house. She lives in St. Charles with my stepdad. We sat around and talked and then we went out to eat.

This is probably the point in my blog when I should mention that I am currently living with a man that is not the same race as me. We have been together for a few years and have been living together for almost two. I mention it only because it is relevant to my story.

The city provides a safer haven then suburbia does for interracial couples. I have grown accustomed to this bubble that provides a less judgemental environment for my relationship. I forget sometimes how judgemental "suburban bliss" can be.

We went to the restaurant and this man, who wasn't but a few years older than myself, kept staring and staring and staring. I mean, I thought I was just being defensive at first, but g.d. that dude could have won a staring contest. I tried not to let it rile me up. This isn't the first time we've been stared at or heard people mumble things or just witnessed people being judgemental assholes about my life, which doesn't concern them. I digress.

So, Mr. Lids of Steel watched us the entire time. I should have predicted it. I should have known it was going to happen. If I could only remember to prepare myself, then I would never be upset by such ridiculous bigotry.

Every time, I'm disappointed by how stunted people still are. You would think that in 2006, there would be less people with their head in their ass. I cannot figure out why people hate others, why people fear what is "different". I don't think I'll ever know.

P.S. St. Charles is a teeming sesspool of urban garbage sprawl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home